We are a voluntary organisation promoting the game of Go in the United
Kingdom. Membership is open to all on payment of an annual
subscription and we support players of all standards. We
- support the playing and teaching of Go in the UK and
abroad, with other international Go organisations.
- make available a selection of books and equipment to
members at moderate prices at tournaments and also offer a discount
at selected mail-order retailers.
- produce the British Go Journal, a magazine of news, comment,
instructional articles and game commentaries.
- provide an electronic newsletter for members.
- help to attract more players to the game through various
promotional activities and material
- provide a comprehensive web site
For beginners, we
- maintain lists of members and Go clubs. These are
available to members wishing to find new opponents.
- encourage the formation of new clubs, especially in
schools, by providing starter sets' and advising organisers.
- provide funds to promote the playing of Go by young people, in
conjunction with an independent trust fund, the Castledine-Barnes
Helping players to improve, we
- provide a Game Review service by some of the country's
- run regular teaching events throughout the UK, as well as Online, with strong players as teachers
- encourage strong players to visit clubs to give teaching and
simultaneous games through subsidies.
- arrange teaching visits by professional players from other
- support an extensive programme of tournaments during the year
and maintain a UK tournament schedule. Several tournaments,
including an inter-club league, are played over the internet. Other
tournaments are organised by clubs, supported by us.
Most tournaments are organised in such a way as to allow
players of all strengths to take part.
- organise tournaments aimed specifically at younger players,
including the British Youth Championships and the UK Go Challenge.
For stronger players, we
- ensure that all UK tournament results are included in the
European Go ratings, an Elo-style system run by the European
Go Federation. The ratings of British players are shown on our
website and players are awarded dan diplomas when they have reached
the appropriate level.
- provide specific coaching by professionals.
- run annual British Individual and Pair Go Championships.
- organise the UK's representation at international events,
such as the World Amateur Go Championship.
For more information about membership or to become one visit http://www.britgo.org/join
This page is part of the online version of our Play Go Leaflet.
Last updated Wed Dec 30 2015. If you have any comments, please email the webmaster on web-master AT britgo DOT org.