British Championship 2021
The following message from Matt Marsh, Tournaments Co-ordinator:
As some people will already have picked up from recent announcements about this year's British Go Congress, we have decided that (for this year only) we will be holding a somewhat slimmed-down British Championship.
• The results of the British Open (held at the British Go Congress) will be used to select the top two players who meet the eligibility criteria for the British Championship
• The title match will consist of one single game between the two selected players (same time limits etc as usual)
• Eligibility for the 2021 British Championship follows the same criteria as usual, with the addition that anyone who qualified for the 2020 championship (which did not take place) is also eligible for the 2021 championship
• WAGC points will be awarded to the top 8 players in the British Open who meet eligibility criteria for the British Championship
• Any players who qualified for either the 2020 or 2021 British Championship will be given automatic eligibility for the 2022 championship - which we very much hope will follow a more normal structure
Eligible players who wish to take part in the British Championship need take no further action other than entering the British Open.
I hope that everyone can understand the need for the compromises that the above entails - without making such compromises it's likely there would be no British Championship this year unfortunately.
I'm happy, as ever, to answer any questions people have.
If you have any comments, please email the webmaster on web-master AT britgo DOT org.